Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Connection to Play

It is a happy talent to know how to play-Ralph Waldo Emerson

 Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.
Kay Redfield Jamison

The following pictures are objects that i remember playing with as a child:
When I was little I played with Barbie dolls and fun gadgets. I would pretend they were people and make them talk to me. Growing up I did not have any little sisters so I really relied on my toys to play with. I loved dressing up dolls and pretending that I was in a fantasy land. Playing was a great escape from the reality of the real world.
Play today is different from when I was little. When I was little we got to play in school and go outside. Today's children do not get to experience that because the most important thing today is testing and making sure students pass. It is like the policy makers have forgotten what is like to be kids. We have got to get back to the roots and find out how to ensure that students are learning without jeopardizing a child's right to play.
  I also think play for adults is good also because sometimes as we grow, we forget how to relax and just enjoy being alive.  This also gives our children the opportunity to see by example.  



3 comments:

  1. Hello Tiffani,

    I like your quote "play is not a luxury, play is a necessity".The view master brought back old memories. I remember me and my brother use to fight over the view master. It is amazing how our toys back then were so simple and so cost efficient yet we learned so much from them. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson,Play is every child's natural talent.As a child I had limited access to toys,thus we were force to be resourceful and make our own toys, and that was one talent we knew we had as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tifanny.
    I chose the same quote by Kay Redfield Jamison. I also believe that children are under a lot of pressure to pass tests and do not have much more time to play and enjoy their childhood. Great post!

    ReplyDelete