Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blog: Welcoming Families From Around the World

I chose Russia to be my new family's country of origin. I do not know anything about this culture and would love to learn more about it. Working in an early childhood center, some things I would do to prepare myself for the arrival of this child and family would be:
 
-Read up on the country history and government and learn about the traditions, culture, education systems, food, pop culture, and music.
-Include Russian children's stories and books in my class library and put out the food and dress  representative of the country in the Dramatic Play area. 
-Learn some basic phrases and words in the language like sit down, paper, crayons, scissors, bathroom, hello, etc.
-Print out labels in the written language to post around the room to accompany the labels in English and Spanish.
-Purchase popular Russian children's songs and include them into the curriculum.
 
I hope that by researching this country and setting up the classroom to include some of the things the child possibly saw in previous classrooms would be welcoming to the child and family. That they would see I was open and willing to help with the transition and with the education of their child. I hope they would see that me and the class were happy to have them be a part of our class community. I do not want to appear to be trying too hard and fake, so I would not bombard them with too much enthusiasm. Moving to another country is hard enough, so I would hope they could find some peace knowing their child was in an environment that celebrated her and not ignored her.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany,
    Very interesting choice you have made. I have always viewed the Russians as very cold and stiff necked persons in character. The Russians are not really loved where I am from because persons view them as not being too warm in personality and sometimes think that the Russians are mean and are racist. But many of these opinions I believe are just stereotypes. That is why it is so important for us to be informed about persons who are culturally different.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany,

    I am impressed that you selected a Russian family, especially if language is a barrier. However you have a great plan outlined above to ensure building a relationship. We cant allow what a we think are obstacles to stand in the way of providing services to families.

    ReplyDelete