Wednesday, May 20, 2015

For this blog assignment, I observed a tee ball team practice. My friend’s daughter is on the team that I observed. During practice, the head coach was very hands-on with the team. As each child practiced hitting the ball off of the tee, the coach keeled down on one knee to help each child hold the bat properly and swing at the ball. I was close enough to hear the coach explain to each child exactly what he was doing. This reminded me of the article, Communicating with Babies, when Kovach and Da Ros-Voseles (2011) discussed the importance of talking directly to each child and talking to children before touching them. I learned that there are other people besides early childhood educators who know about and implement the principles we learned about this week. I think that the coach did an outstanding job communicating effectively with each child. I also think that the way the coach communicated with the children affected each child in a positive way. I believe that the children felt safe, respected, cared for by him. I believe they all trust him due to the way he communicated with them.


Reference


Kovach, B., & Da Ros-Voseles, D. (2011). Communicating with babies. YC: Young Children, 66(2), 48-50.

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany,
    I think that you have mentioned something very important in your post and that is the importance of using respectful communication beyond the early learning years. Not only do older children appreciate and respond to this respectful approach but also do adults within our personal and professional relationships. As an adult I have been greatly influenced by leaders and colleagues in my work environment who have promoted effective and collaborative relationships by modelling respectful communication, asking key questions that come from true interest, and showing appreciation of other’s ideas.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    Great post! when educators show they respect and value each of the young children they serve, they seem to get a more positive response in their behaviors, and attitudes towards learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany,
    You and I both made observations at a tee-ball game. I agree with you that there are many outside of the early childhood field that have the ability to communicate effectively with young children. I know from first hand experience how the coach of a tee-ball team can make or break the season! It makes me cringe when I see a coach's competitive drive kick in and they get upset at the kids for doing something wrong. Young children who are trying a new sport for the first time need caring guidance and affirming interactions with their coaches or they will end up feeling bad about themselves and not liking the sport. Thank you for your observations.

    ReplyDelete