Friday, January 24, 2014

Research that Benefits Children and Families: Uplifting Stories

It seems that more and more children are being diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Though there are many different medications that help children with these diagnoses, it seems there are challenging side-effects, such as decreased appetite which can lead to slowed growth or weight loss. Over the years, some research has been done to determine whether changes in diet have positive effects on children diagnosed with ADHD. From what I read, some children respond positively to diets that are free of food dyes and additives, while others may benefit from diets that are richer in omega-3 fatty acids (see articles referenced below).

If I were to research any topic without the restrictions of present realities I would study alternatives to ADHD treatments. While I understand that some children need medication, I believe that many children are either over-medicated or not medicated because of the stigma of medications being used too frequently or having negative side-effects. While my research topic is broad (I would want to study the use of food diet and sensory diet, as well as the use of more natural remedies) I understand there are many facets to ADHD, and it is extremely unlikely that one cure would fit all. ADHD is a challenging diagnosis for children to live with. This topic is important to me because in my work, though I do see children who have ADHD under management, I also see children who have trouble learning either because they have been over-medicated or they receive no treatment at all. Either way they are unable to access learning because they are in a “fog” or they just cannot focus. It is heartbreaking to see children who want to learn and succeed unable to do so because they simply cannot help it. Such a research study would help children with ADHD manage their ADHD through alternatives less likely to have negative side effects. Sensory and food diets would not rely on health insurance (which can be expensive even with co-pays). Children and families would have control over the ADHD, and children would be more open to learning and having positive experiences in school and at home.

Articles about previous alternatives to managing ADHD:

 Kanarek, R. (2011). Artificial food dyes and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Nutrition Reviews69(7), 385-391. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00385.x

Dell, E. Y., & Shultz, S. M. (2009). Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): Has Diet Therapy Taken a Place at the Table?. Journal Of Consumer Health On The Internet13(1), 93-102. doi:10.1080/15398280802675088

6 comments:

  1. Your post is intriguing, I too wonder how ADD/ADHD could be managed without the use of medicine or if it is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,

    ADHD medication is a controversial topic. My nephew has ADHD; the medication he is taking caused side effects in the beginning phases of treatment but with patience and tweaking the dose he is proof that it works. I look forward to reading more about the topic you have chosen, very interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany, I agree that more and more children are being diagnosed with ADHD and ADD. The Dr;s seem to want to give medication instead of trying to see which foods could be causing this behavior or situations. I think there must be more research done to insure that we are not doing more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I think that is a great idea. I like your focus of sensory and food diets because I think that does play a big role in active levels in children which can bring on the behavior. I would love to read more research about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffany,
    I agree with you, more focus she be placed on doing research finding other methods that could possibly help children diagnosed with ADHD and ADD. I think this should be the case with most medical diagnosis. Focus more on something that can be less harmful to the child

    ReplyDelete
  6. ADHD is and interesting subject to me as well. Almost too well. I have a friend that has an 19 year old son that was diagnosed with ADHD when he was second grade. I personally say he is gifted because he is very artistic (art) and very good doing things with his hands. This is a subject of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete