Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Personal Research Journey




The topic I chose to research was Language Development of Young children in early childhood such as infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.  I chose this topic because as a parent and teacher it is very essential to a child’s development.  Language development is important because children go through a number of different stages as language develops, from the earliest stage of producing cooing sounds through being able to produce complex, multi-word sentences.  For example my godson is 3 years old and still does not have the ability to speak clearly nor does he have a large vocabulary I feel that this is because he does not hear correct language on a regular basis nor is he given the time to seat and be taught new things like he is suppose to versus my 2 year little cousin who parents both have a college background.  She has the ability to talk in complete sentences and explain what she is thinking at that moment because she not only has involved parents but she has an older sibling who is in first grade that talks to her like he does to his friends at school so she has the ability to expand her vocabulary. 

The research chart gives me an insight of learning of different ways of doing my research. It helps me to brainstorm the information and look ask questions like "how, when, where", is the topic is essential to my research, It also helps me to read more and look at different resources of my research. I also look forward to receiving advice and other resources from my fellow colleagues as I complete this journey.

 

6 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    The topic you have chosen to research sounds interesting. Language development in children is intriguing, they all develop differently at each stage. Good luck in your research journey over the next several weeks, I look forward to your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Language development is intriguing to me as well! It’s amazing how quickly children can put sounds together and how critical understanding language development can help support and scaffold a child’s learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffany, you topic on the language development of young children of some personal interest to me. I have a two year old nephew whose speech is delayed. I have tried telling the parents, who are two very intelligent people, to help him build his vocabulary by telling him what objects are and asking him to repeat what has been said. For instance, when my nephew wants something from the refrigerator he takes a person by the hand and points to what he wants. His parents just reach in and gives him what he wants instead of telling him to use his words. I think don't think a child's delayed speech has to do with the educational background of the people/persons concerned, but it has everything to do with how parents react or respond to children on a verbal level. I have also known people with no education beyond high school, but to have very intelligent children just because they took the time to read to them and explain things to them. Does a parent really really have to be well educated to help a child develop proper language skill development?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Language development is fascinating and I cannot wait to see what you discover and share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this topic. I work with toddlers and language development is a big assessment. I also know some two year olds who can talk in complete sentences. I also have noticed they normally have older siblings or parents who are very involved in their learning and communicating with them which I think makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tiffany,
    Language development is another very important component in the early childhood field. It is the key to future educational growth. Without children don't stand a chance at function or being productive in society.

    ReplyDelete