Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Awareness of Microaggressions

Microaggressions can be hurtful both intentionally and unintentionally. It is important for people to think before they speak and realize that your words can affect the person receiving them. I have had many experiences where words and actions were harmful and hurting towards me. When I was taking my core courses in college, I remember an incident in the bookstore. I heard two females talking about hair and one of them was trying to get the other to ask me about my hair. Well, I turned around and the Caucasian girl asked me if all my hair was mine. I responded and said yes and asked her if she would like to check for tracks (weave) because she gave me an “are you serious” look. She responded and said no but touched my hair anyway. She said my hair was silky and straight and I must be mixed. I told her no I am not and both of my parents are Black. I really took the conversation offensively and the girl caught on because she seemed apologetic and walked away but never really apologizing. After the conversation I felt that since I am African American I cannot have nice hair. I have had several incidents regarding my hair even when I was in high school, not just by people outside my race but also those of the same race as me.


This week’s lesson has taught me that anybody can pass microaggressions intentionally and unintentionally, that is why it is so important to think before you speak and to treat others the way you want to be treated. I also learned about the different types of microaggressions, which I was unaware of. I enjoyed this week!

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I am with you I anybody can pass micro-aggression but it is important to think before you treat or speak the wrong way to anyone. I enjoyed you posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,
    Unfortunately many of us are not aware of the microaggressions comments made. This week I was at a nursery that is owned by a Caucasian female from England and I was so aware and alert not to make any comments that might me seen as micro aggressive but instead I made sure that I kept it extremely professional so as to ensure that I did not offend any one.

    ReplyDelete