Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Different Styles of Communicating

I realize that I communicate differently depending on my surroundings. For example, when I am at work I do not communicate with my co-workers the same way as if we are out for the evening. At work there is a professional tone in the way that we talk and carry ourselves, meaning no slang, certain body language, etc.  In the profession I am in, communication has to be versatile because of the diverse population. Educators work with different cultures and have to incorporate different cultures in their curriculum.

I use a lot of nonverbal cues when I talk. I find myself using my hands when I communicate with anybody and I use movement. I try to observe the person I am communicating with so I will know if my gestures are too much.

The Platinum Rule is very essential when it comes to communicating with every culture and family. This rule includes both using great communication skills and listening skills. Listening is just as important as talking to someone. Everybody wants someone that will listen to them and show them the same respect as they have showed you. The Platinum Rule needs to be enforced in all communicating situations.

2 comments:

  1. Tiffany,
    I agree that we communicate differently depending on the social settings and the audience. I tend to use non-verbal and my hands when communicating with people. I also believe that the “Platinum Rule” should be used in any communication setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, when communicating with others I use a lot of hand gestures and facial expressions. I had never really considered these gestures to be offensive to the people I was communicating with. This week I have learned to be more observing while communicating with other to ensure I am not being disrespect to them. There are a diverse group of families and colleagues I work with and through I consider myself to be culturally responsive person little things like hand gestures or facial expression can misunderstood by others. The Platinum Rule does need to be enforced when communicating with all people and situations.
    Shelia

    ReplyDelete